You know how at the end of the year you’re working on those pesky 1099 forms but find that you don’t have the contractor’s social security number or tax identification number?

Very small companies and companies that use a lot of independent contractors need to use for W-9 get tax ID information from their contractors. It’s a simple form to have your contractors fill out bfore they start working with you.

You can find that form here. (Note: This will change in future years.)

You can search for IRS forms or pulications. They are generally available online.

Now you know, so no excuses!